Thread: Grocery Bike
View Single Post
Old January 29th 19, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Grocery Bike

For awhile after my concussion I lost my driver's license and so did all of my traveling and grocery shopping on a Schwinn Voyager. I mounted a rack and that wasn't very successful since grocery bags fall apart. Then I got a handlebar bag of the little old lady kind that was like heavy screen metal. The Chinese were selling something similar made out of bamboo that looked like wood. As long as you weren't carrying a load this worked out. Now I see that you can get something seminar to fit on the rear rack.

I tried saddlebags but my heels kept hitting them and the bike would rock around. I don't remember how I handled the long distance touring but everything must have been tied down pretty tightly.

In any case, after I got my license back I sold the grocery bike off. The good point about it was that it didn't look worth stealing and so I could park it in front of a store and just put a lock through the wheels.

Now that I'm trying to sell off a large part of my inventory I'm thinking of getting another grocery bike. I'll have some room for it. The store furthest away from me is next to the drug store I use and that is only a mile and a half away. The store I use most often is only half a mile away.

I am now thinking that it is rather silly to be driving to a store that close.

The problem is - do you continue to use a bike for shopping after the immediate idea that driving there is dumb? Some of you probably have some experience with this - what is your take?
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home