Old February 5th 19, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2019-02-05 07:21, Radey Shouman wrote:

[...]

When I got home I looked at the rims. They were coated in
white frosty stuff that looked a lot like snow, but stuck
much more resolutely. Not normally much for washing
bicycles, I spent a few minutes cleaning off the frost and
salt.

To be clear, the brakes are not modern equipment, but
Weinmann Vainqueur centerpulls, albeit with Kool Stop
cartridge pads. I do find them more than adequate
ordinarily.

If I ever buy a new bicycle, I believe I'll favor those
fashionable disk brakes.

Try them out on a friend bike or a rental. You'll never look
back.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

CRIKEY! What am I doing WRONG? I ride all year round and I don't
have problems with my rim brakes stopping any of my bicycles.
That is even true for my ancient long out of production Shimano
Adamas AX brakes and my Shimano Dura Ace AX brakes. Grant the
Dura Ace AX bicycle is kept for nicer weather but I have got
caught out in the rain with it and never had a problem. Not have
i ever worn out a rim because of brake wear. I ride thousands of
miles every year too.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with
rims wearing out.

Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first
1000mi of foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on
soggy winter trail rides there was this goose bump eliciting
sandpaper noise.

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components
if there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the
years?

Regardless of how one feels about discs, it is true that rim brakes
will wear out rims when use in wet and grimy conditions. Like I've
said before, I work with a clydesdale who commutes 24 miles a day on
mostly flat terrain, and he was going through rims every two years.
My experience with rim brakes on my commuter was better, but I've
been on discs so long that I can't recall how fast I was going
through rims.

Similar here. Actually I've had exactly the same happen on rim brakes
as described by the OP, but it is rare, you do need just the right
combination of conditions. Freezing rain will do it as well :-(

For me, Shimano mineral oil disc brakes have been maintenance free for
years now.

Does this mean no bleeding either? I have to "burp" mine about once a
year or about every 2000mi but it's a mountain bike where I am in the
brakes all the time. Mine use DOT-4 fluid so it's a bit of a messy job.
Open reservoir, squeeze lever over and over again until no more bubbles
show and the pressure point becomes hard, top off, close, wipe clean.
That takes only a few minutes but DOT-4 can be nasty on clothes. So
maybe my next set of brakes should be Shimano.

... Was looking at the front disc over the weekend and it might
be due for replacement after some 8,000 miles. Given it's a centerlock,
that's going to be a 2 minute job!

With the six screws it's five minutes because there is usually a set of
fresh ones with Loctite already applied. Torqueing as usual via the
digital suitcase scale.