Old February 5th 19, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Winter tyres

On 04/02/2019 09:48, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 09:07:38 GMT, TMS320 wrote:

On 03/02/2019 16:02, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:57:58 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

[]

What I was trying to say about winter tyres is that the tyre industry

is
currently busy trying to flog them. They do appear to offer better
traction in snow and are probably an insurance for people in essential
services (once the jack-knifed lorries have been cleared and everybody
else has decided to stay at home). But there are likely to be a lot of
"enthusiasts", that only have 2 days a year to go out to play to

justify
the outlay. If you are in the way it will annoy them.

There were (car) tyre tracks across a roundabout near me on Sat a.m.
It's just a winter playground to some of the nutters around here.

I now use winter tyres all year round (for the last three or four
years), the grip in the cold and wet is astonishing, it enables much
shorter stopping distances, which makes them worth every penny.