Old February 8th 19, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Tech ogling confessions

On 2019-02-06 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 5:04:48 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
Stopped at the LBS on the way home today, to look at a Trek gravel
bike in person. There are a lot of unpaved roads here in the
Willamette Valley as well as in the mountains around it.

It was nice, certainly drool-worthy in the
I'm-not-really-serious-yet-about-buying sort of way.

There were lots of attachment points for use on long, hot summer
rides that don't go by a 7-Eleven.

I like the wider bars (they looked wider than the 46's I have on
my Domane, but maybe they were the same). Hydraulic disks (see our
latest RBR discussion, heh), nice wide tires.

THEN

when I was talking about fender mounts, the guy mentions putting
fenders on a "Domane +" E-bike, so I go take a look at that.

It's a full carbon fast road bike with a electric assist. Forgive
me, RBR, for I have sinned and coveted this bike. I'm going to try
hard to wait until at least 70 before getting one, partly 'cause I
fear the decline into potatohood that it could spark, but I was
tempted. Having another 100-200W in one's pocket would be
something.

Mark J.

The Bike Gallery (Trek) shop downtown also has one of the Orbea Gain
series.
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/r...ain-m20-usa-19
Orbea also has a groovy gravel e-assist:
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/r...ain-m21-usa-19
Also available in aluminum, although I'm not a 1X fan. The stealth
e-assist bike is becoming really popular. Muzi's Bianchi is
beautiful. Some of the e-assists aren't that stealthy. The
Cannondale Synapse looks like a pregnant guppy. I'd get a full-on
eBike if I lived somewhere like Vancouver and commuted to downtown --
beat the traffic over the bridge and fly into town. It's kind of
like cheating.

It is. Might as well get the real deal then, zero to 60mph in 3.4 seconds:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...if5oi1tjpg.jpg

But for my current short commute and weekend riding,
yes, going electric would move me one step closer to the potato
abyss.

A buddy is trying to convince me to retrofit my bikes with electric like
he did. I keep telling him "When I am 85. Maybe. Or maybe not".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/