Old May 2nd 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Wayne Pein

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Mike Young wrote:

By law in IL, bicyclists are entitled to the full width of the traffic
lane. Most of the time, especially in the city, they tend to hug the
curb side of the curb lane, allowing motorized traffic to go by.

How thoughtful of them. I don't suppose bicyclists get any credit in
your accounting scheme for that?

Of course, you should know that there is no advantage to riding near the
side of the road, only disadvantages like poor sight lines, less
conspicuity, and motorists trying to squeeze by when its unsafe to do so.

But I guess if motorists are allowed to pass and you are a motorist its
all good for you.

Every
now and again, though, a militant bunch or another blocks up the two
lane suburban artery roads here with their 15 mph asses.

What makes you think they are militant rather than merely exercising
their right to use the lane? And why don't you pass in the oncoming
lane? Oh I know, its full of other motorists.

Traffic? Yeah,
I suppose they are. Special status in the law, however, shouldn't
preclude courtesy and consideration for others.

No special status. Just status.

According to your logic, although bicyclists are entitled to use of the
full lane like other road users, they must be "courteous" and allow you
to use it for passing them. If they don't, then they are militant.

Come to think of it,
grown men wearing brightly colored leotards have very little to say that
might interest me.

Why would they want to talk to you? You're a selfish, illogical lout who
doesn't ride a bike unless it has a mechanical engine and who doesn't
have the sense to understand that hi viz clothing is useful.

Wayne