Old May 2nd 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Mike Young

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
Mike Young wrote:

By law in IL, bicyclists are entitled to the full width of the traffic
lane. Most of the time, especially in the city, they tend to hug the curb
side of the curb lane, allowing motorized traffic to go by.

How thoughtful of them. I don't suppose bicyclists get any credit in your
accounting scheme for that?

I'm one of them, or at least, was until I moved to the 'burbs. Credit? For
what? Sharing the road? Keep your award, Sonny.

Of course, you should know that there is no advantage to riding near the
side of the road, only disadvantages like poor sight lines, less
conspicuity, and motorists trying to squeeze by when its unsafe to do so.

Sure. All that. And trash, gravel, leaves, and car doors, too. I'm happier
there. Motorists don't have to squeeze by. It's better this way; safer this
way. But you already know all that, and can't be told anything.

But I guess if motorists are allowed to pass and you are a motorist its
all good for you.

Every
now and again, though, a militant bunch or another blocks up the two lane
suburban artery roads here with their 15 mph asses.

What makes you think they are militant rather than merely exercising their
right to use the lane? And why don't you pass in the oncoming lane? Oh I
know, its full of other motorists.

You tell me. You're one of them. Am I right?

Traffic? Yeah,
I suppose they are. Special status in the law, however, shouldn't
preclude courtesy and consideration for others.

No special status. Just status.

Special status. Capital 'S'. Little school bus special. The only other
unlicensed vehicles granted that use are farm implements, and then only with
restrictions.

According to your logic, although bicyclists are entitled to use of the
full lane like other road users, they must be "courteous" and allow you to
use it for passing them. If they don't, then they are militant.

According to my logic, when I'm doing 15 in a 40 with traffic queuing behind
me, I should find someplace to pull over and help them pass, no matter what
I'm riding or driving.

Come to think of it,
grown men wearing brightly colored leotards have very little to say that
might interest me.

Why would they want to talk to you? You're a selfish, illogical lout who
doesn't ride a bike unless it has a mechanical engine and who doesn't have
the sense to understand that hi viz clothing is useful.

I like 'em skintight myself. I feel so... so visible.