Old May 2nd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

On May 2, 8:46 am, evelyn wrote:
You must know
that there are rapist and murderers everywhere ...

Doggone! You're right! I just found three of them hiding under my
computer desk!

and I would use my gun for protection.

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.

I recall, decades ago, being on a backpacking trip with my wife and
young son, hiking the Appalachian Trail for a week. One night, we
camped near a couple guys and spent some time talking.

Turns out, despite tricks like cutting his toothbrush in half to save
a few grams, one of the guys proudly showed us that he was carrying a
revolver. He made it clear that it wasn't for snakes or bears. He
was afraid of other people.

I assume a guy like that would never get up the nerve to camp in, say,
the Lake District of England, where he wouldn't be allowed to have his
gun.

Again, sad. Such a climate of fear!

- Frank Krygowski