Old September 14th 17, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

John B. wrote:
:On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 05:46:06 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

:
:I still don't understand why high-end builders like Schmidt don't use
:salient-pole armatures, which could be constructed from standard motor
:laminations (instead of the custom clawpole monolith used now). That
:would shorten the iron path dramatically, reducing reluctance, reduce
:the length of copper, reducing resistance. The performance gains can
:be traded for lighter weight, higher efficiency or higher power.
:Every motor builder in the world does it that way, why not dyamo hub
:builders? Maybe there _is_ a technical reason, but it certainly isn't
:apparent to me. The use of incandescent bulbs may have set the tradition,
:but it's certainly no reason to continue.

:Not to argue but why is the "clawpole armature" used in automotive
:"alternators".

Because saliant pole alternators with the outputs required are
physically larger and heavier than the Lundell style.

--
sig 30