Old September 23rd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Maybe it's safer to run red lights than to wait for green lights.

Bob wrote:
On Sep 21, 10:13 pm, SMS wrote:
This afternoon we pushed the button to activate the light on minor cross
street of a four lane road. The light changed, the traffic stopped, or
so we thought, and we proceed across. About half way across, a Toyota
Corolla blew through the red light at high speed, about 12 feet in front
of me. If I had been two seconds or so faster it'd have been the end.

So I was thinking that it really was much more dangerous to cross on the
green, trusting that the cross traffic would stop, than to simply wait
for a break in traffic and run the red light.

An idiot running a red light endangered your safety so you conclude
that you'd be safer if *you* run red lights? I don't see how that
conclusion follows.

Because I'd treat the red light like a stop sign, and only proceed when
there is no cross traffic, rather then depending on vehicles to stop
when I have the green light.