Old January 14th 04, 07:43 AM
Mikefule

Default Fule face helmet - review

It would be exaggerating to call it a proper drop. Imagine a short
slope down, with a step of about 8 inches down, then a short slope down.
I went over the step and as I hit the bottom slope I catapulted
forwards.

As far as I can tell, the exact sequence of impacts was this - and it
was more or less symmetrical as I went straight forwards:

1) Hands hit the floor, protected by wristguards.
2) Some of the shock transmitted up my arms cusing some shoulder pain
later.
3) Chest hit the floor mor or less flat.
4) Head, which had been pulled back, whipped forwards and chin hit the
rock.

The rock in question was standing proud of the ground by an inch or two,
which didn't help.

I have had only one similar UPD, and that was on the Coker at high speed
on the flat. On that occasion, I slid down the road on my belly,and
managed to keep my chin off the floor.

Tips for avoiding it? Er... buy a tricycle.

UPDs can happen very suddenly. Usually they are no problem. 9 times
out of ten I land on my feet, although occasionally I fall after a step
or two. However, UPDs when riding down a hill can be frightening -
especially if one of your short term objectives is to avoid trashing
your legs on the pedals.

I will use the Fule face helmet when this type of UPD seems likely: hard
MUni, or high speed Cokering.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.