Old August 13th 03, 10:32 AM
Peter Clinch

Default Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences?

bikingbill wrote:

FWIW I'd warn against the sub-=A3200 bikes. A friend bought one, but th=

ere
were too many 'compromises' to make it a good choice. Heavy frame,
clunky gear change, awkward riding position, dreadful saddle. Result is=

it's seldom used. I feel at this price the bikes are built down to the
price. =A3300+ is probably a better mark for a beginner. Unless they ca=

find a 'last-year's model' =A3300 bike reduced or get something 2nd han=

d.=20

I'd agree that =A3300 is better, if you happen to have it, and also I'd=20
avoid spending less than ~=A3200. But between the two there's an area=20
where you can get something better in just about every way than what I=20
paid =A3200 for back in '89, when =A3200 was worth rather more than it is=
=20
now. And that bike did me very well for the best part of a decade, just =

putting on better bits as the originals wore out.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/