Old September 30th 18, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default hex entry at the back of pedal

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 23:01:46 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

David Scheidt wrote:

Typical torque spec for a 12.9 grade 10mm
socket head screw, which is what has an 8mm
hex socket, is 80 NM (~60 foot pounds).
Shimano pedals are 35 or 40 NM (25 to 29 ft
pounds), as I recall. If you can't do that
with a hex bit, you are not competent to work
on anything.

40nm, isn't that the typical casette torque?
You are supposed to do that with an 8mm allen
wrench? Not that I ever saw this situation
first hand!

BTW I don't think I put the pedals in that
hard. I have a torque wrench but for sockets,
not an open spanner - unless you can buy that
as a separate part and plug it in?

But I doubt they (the pedals) will get much
deeper anyhow...?

See https://www.tonetool.co.jp/english/p.../flyer_015.pdf
--
Cheers