Old September 30th 18, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default hex entry at the back of pedal

On 9/29/2018 10:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:

As for standard 15mm open-end pedal wrench, I never once saw a mechanic use an open end torque wrench, and historically, I just reefed on it a bit and called it good. Maybe others have a more scientific approach. I had one pedal come loose, but as Frank mentions, with bearing precession, the pedal should tighten. My pedal bearings were probably munged, or there was some other issue that caused the pedal to loosen besides low tightening torque.

One of the weirdest failures I remember: During a ride, a good friend of
mine complained that his left pedal was giving him trouble. Eventually,
it stopped rotating entirely. We couldn't get it to spin at all.

So we pulled off the outside dust cap. One of his bearing balls was
split perfectly in two. The two halves had jammed in the race and locked
things up. I don't know why it split; the guy was certainly not a
powerful rider.

And BTW, the incident disproved one of the mythical reasons for left
hand threads on the left pedal. The pedal did not unscrew from the crank.

--
- Frank Krygowski