Old October 1st 18, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:17:30 +0000 (UTC),
Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 09:47:21 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 9/22/2018 4:56 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:05:17 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/21/2018 2:40 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:40:46 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:

Any suggestions are welcome.

What's your rim strip? I was a long-time Velox user until
just this summer when I switched over to FSA rim strips
which are much thinner. They make more room for the beads
of the tires, rsulting in easier installation and easier
seating, especially with the tighter beads on foldable
tires.

Interesting question. The (Ritchey) wheels came with a
yellow plastic rim strip, and a year or so ago I replaced it
with basic Velox. I'm not sure I got the right width, but
in any case it seems to ride just a bit high on the edges.
I can see how this might be a contributor.

Mystery solved.

Your tire's inner diameter at the bead is the same size as
your rim at the painted line he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/rimpins.jpg

Any occlusion such as a fat rim liner can (and in your case
probably did) wreck that very precise fit.

Yes, I am now thinking this is likely to the issue. Last time
I changed the tube and tire, I noticed the tape was not well
centered at all points, so I reapplied it. It still seemed
hard to keep it far enough down in the well. Furthermore, the
fact that I changed the strip on both wheels and am having the
same problem on both also points this direction.

I will report back after I've had time to work on it.

Okay, Ifinally got some time to work on these wheels. By the way,
they are labeled Ritchey WCS Zeta II.

I took off the front tire and tube, took out the 16 mm Velox, put
on the original yellow plastic Ritchey rim strip, and reinstalled
the tire. It was a bit easier to mount, but still had a low spot.

Next, I took that tire off, and put on the first one I'd had
trouble with. It was even more out of round. I noticed that a
line on the tire was spaced about 2 mm from the rim most of the
way around, but right at the rim in a place (or two?).

My conclusion is that the tire is enough too small that the bead
is pulled inward and doesn't completely seat in those areas. I
tried bouncing the wheel, and even smacking the sidewall against
the top of my workbench, but could not convince it to pop out into
place.

I put took that tire off and put the other back on. It made a
pretty good pop/ping when it was nearly fully pressured (100 psi),
but still had that one low spot. This aligns with an area of the
tire sidewall that is further into the rim, just like what I
described two paragraphs above. I beat on and bounced this wheel,
but couldn't get that last bit of tire fully seated.

So I plan to order some different tires, and will ride on this out
of round one until they come (and I can get them installed). I've
already ridden many hundreds of miles with these out of round
tires, so don't expect any problems (other than the mildly
aggravating hoping).

So the rim strip was a minor factor, but I think the basic problem
is mismatch between tire and rim diameter/circumference.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA