Old April 28th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

Default Another example of slanted journalism re bicyclists

On Apr 27, 8:44*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Sorry, it seems to me as if you are reading between the lines looking
for

evidence of bias. I just don't see any.

I suppose if you only have this one article to look at, you might not see
what I mean. *However, being a writer myself, I am constantly looking for
good examples and poor examples of journalism. *It turns out that virtually
every article I read about an auto/bike accident describes what the cyclist
did, but not what the driver did.

1. *"A cyclist was seriously injured when he attempted to cross a three-lane
turnpike."

Almost blame-neutral.

2. *"The cyclist was hit by the vehicle while trying to turn left onto
Bagatelle Road."

Blame-neutral.

3. *"The cyclist was struck and killed when the light turned green and he
proceeded eastbound through the intersection."

Blame-unclear. Was the light green in the cyclist's direction or did
someone crossing his path do a jack rabbit takeoff when the light
changed?

People on bikes are just as sketchy operators as drivers - either
could be at fault. You are assuming that the cyclist was doing the
right thing which is just as egregious of an error as assuming the
cyclist was doing the wrong thing.