Old June 24th 20, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Concerning commuting by bike

In the local craigslist I have been sort of surprised at the numbers of e-bikes that have been turning up. I think that people with good intentions have bought these things as commuters and then discovered to their dismay that distance and not effort is the real problem. People do not want to spend a hour in the morning and an hour in the evening doing physical efforts to get to or back from their place of employment.

I don't think that there are many people like Jay who are willing to go 10 miles or more to work and return the same distance all sweaty and disturbed by the treatment at the hands of auto commuters who would as soon drive you off the road were it not for possible observers getting their license numbers and reporting them for a felony.

I do very low traffic routes as much as possible but on a ride yesterday I must have been threatened by cars traveling at very high rates of speed and taking very close passes at me. I am almost but not quite used to that and it is especially egregious when the perpetrator is a woman in a very large SUV that gives you plenty of reason to believe that she cannot handle the thing.

Too bad that the police don't react to such things even when they see them.