Old June 7th 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 02:52:56 GMT, Bill wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:

On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
Enjoy the education...
Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.

He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
hard sciences.
Crichton is a Harvard Med School graduate. That being said, his
politics seems to trump any really scientific basis for his claims on
global warming.

At what point did this go to quoting Crichton or anyone else?
Trails....
I ride them when I find them and do so non-destructively, often
following a deer path in the deep woods.
How does anyone find this to be destructive?

The science says it is: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7. That's
one reason that riding "deer trails" is illegal.

I read a fair part of that and it referred to the haul ass and skid kind
of riding that teenagers and a few twenty somethings do. My riding is to
not only respect the land but to explore, and I definitely pack out
whatever I take in with me, even to the point of taking out other
people's junk.

Nonsense. The riding in these studies was extremely mild. Read it
again. And they STILL proved that mountain biking impacts are greater
than those of hiking.

If I am correct this was Vandeman's excuse for ragging on mountain
motorcycle riders, which then spilled over to include bicycle riders.
What next, illegal trail walking?
There is a big difference between bicycle trail riders who respect the
land they are riding on and the motorcycle set, most of whom could care
less about any damage they do.
Make that distinction and this might be a worthwhile thread.
Bill (pedal powered) Baka

Why are you talking about motorcyclists? We are talking about mountain
bikers. There's no disagreement on motorcycling being harmful.

I agree with you there since I have been (rarely) passed by motorcycles
on trails where they were definitely illegal. As I mentioned above I am
a passive mountain biker out to enjoy nature, not to trample it. I might
get to the point of picking a fight if I found somebody carelessly
tossing beer cans around the trails. I may be in the minority, but if it
is worth the effort to ride to once I would like it to be in the same
condition the next time I go there. That is my personal sanctuary from
the overcrowding of the city/town environment. The worst I have done is
to scare a bear and we both took off in opposite directions, fast.
Bill Baka

Then explain why you need the crutch of haing a bike with you. Are you
incapable of walking? The ONLY reason for bringing along a bike is to
get somewhere faster, or get farther than you can walk. Neither are
worthy goals.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande