Old July 17th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

"Duane" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive at
around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of 1/10" or
so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
through
and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Somehow that never worked for me - I've heard of people soaking a patch
of
denim in rubber solution, but I've never tried that (yet).

Canada started making their money out of plastic. Works the charm for a
temporary patch in a slit tire.

So did the UK - but you get change from buying a new inner tube with the
lowest denomination folding money.

If the outer tyre was that bad, I'd just sit the rim in it to eliminate the
grinding burrs that would damage the replacement.