Old October 18th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default ride faster!

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 07:24:29 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 6:51:29 AM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
jbeattie writes:

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 4:35:36 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 9:53:33 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:32:53 AM UTC-7, duane wrote:
On 17/10/2019 10:24 a.m., Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:49:01 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

I generally agree. But it strikes me that someone who rides on
the pavement all the time, or any time it is permitted, is
probably also a gutter bunny, and that truck driver would have
collected him either way.

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that
riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the
road".

Seems to me that this would depend a lot on the road and the sidewalk.
We had a couple people killed in Montreal going through an underpass and
being rear ended by trucks. You'd have to see the setup. Steep
underpass. Dark. Narrow. Truck didn't see the cyclists etc. There
are sidewalks there and the city decided to allow cyclists to use them.

Before the danger danger brigade gets fired up, this is a one off. I
wouldn't recommend using sidewalks generally.

Andre Jute
Aggressive Passive Safety: Bicyclists should avoid tangling
with mechanical contrivances bigger than they are.

And oddly, modified sidewalks are deemed the safest type of
bicycle
facility. https://bikeportland.org/2017/02/14/...lwaukie-217696
The previous on-street bike lane was far safer. You didn't get
cars lunging over limit lines into "bike crossings," i.e. cross
walks, and you didn't have to stop every fifty yards or less for
cross-streets and driveways. You just rode along with the cars --
straight shot. But now we have an awesome facility where you get
to dodge cars and pedestrians. Oh joy. I'd go on about the
f****** nightmare ride into work this morning in a bike facility,
but I've got things to do. I'm turning into that crazy old
Tourette's guy yelling at cars, bikes and pedestrians. One day
I'll wake up and be TK -- or a cockroach, one or the other.

-- Jay Beattie.

I just got an email this time from some back-east recruiter and
another from LinkIn about that NASA position. They said it is newly
started "Small Satellite Maintenance" department. Since they sure as
hell aren't bringing them down and repairing them I can only assume
that it is firmware updates. So, since you're the local expert -
have you heard of the Small Satellite Maintenance Department of
NASA?

I had pad kee mao from the Thai cart today. It was super-good, and I
get free Thai tea because I work downtown. It's really too sweet, but
the lady in the cart is willing to ratchet back the sugar and make it
just right. Have you ever heard of pad kee mao?

I probably eat more Thai food than John B, but tomorrow, I'm going to
the Korean BBQ cart next door. Or maybe I'll get a sandwich.

Go for the banh mi, Charlie makes a mean sandwich.

We have banh mi carts downtown -- I just have to find them. A bunch of the carts dispersed after a cart pod was displaced by a luxury hotel project. That really ****ed off the locals. We also lost the "Frying Scotsman" -- great street fish and chips. He moved his truck to Beaverton -- gads, the burbs. I live pretty close to a high school with a little cart pod: more pad kee mao! https://tinyurl.com/yxv594rp The Thai people are trying to conquer us with noodle dishes. Its some sort of reverse colonialism. We need to fight back with Colonel Sanders franchises in Bangkok. John B, its up to you!

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie

The Colonel is doing all right. Now as well as the Golden Arches but
all right. After all fried chicken is not a strange and exotic food in
Thailand :-)
--
cheers,

John B.