external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 14:02:52 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 9:00:17 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 3:54:14 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

To change the thrust of the thread slightly:

Here it is 13.

I'd be happier to let 13 year-old's ride on the street, especially if there were riding lessons in schools. But I should add that have several schools within a (very large) block of us, and I never see even a single student on a bike. So, no lessons in schools because they just don't see the need. When I was schoolboy, we had lessons in road safety.

And dismounting to cross a street is pretty much universally ignored.

Not overly worried. On my bike near my house, I use a pedestrian crossing to stop fast-moving traffic coming into town on a main feeder road down the rest of the county. Ironically, I come round the corner of the courthouse to do it... I don't get off either, I just ride across the pedestrian crossing and onto a path through a park. There are always police at the courthouse and I've never seen as much as a frown for the pedestrian crossing trick.

Andre Jute
Not everyone has the style to be a scofflaw

On of our local bicycle activists had a couple of 7 year old twin girls that ride absolutely perfectly in traffic. They also would disappear up the hard climbs leaving us all behind on ten ton wonder bikes. So I don't think that age has much to do with it as much as training

Size, Tom, Size. The smaller a creature is the stronger it is in
relation to its size. An ant can carry double it's own weight for
miles, in ant terms. But can you?
--
cheers,

John B.

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home