Old March 18th 05, 10:54 AM
Chalo

Magnusfarce wrote:

I will need to start riding with a higher handlebar position to

accomodate a
neck injury that requires a more upright position. If I were to use

any
method to extend the stem to achieve this, will I be placing too much

stress
on the head tube?

If you like your bike in other respects, I recommend fitting it with
BMX bars of appropriate height for your desired riding position.
You'll need to use a BMX-type stem because BMX bars have a different
diameter at the clamped portion than MTB or drop bars.

I wouldn't worry about the head tube. If you use a quill stem, make
sure the quill is inserted well past the end of the steerer threads.

Remember, even if taller bars have more leverage, you won't be putting
nearly as much weight on them as you would on low bars.

Chalo Colina