Old September 20th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Article about SRAM in Forbes

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:48:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2019 4:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 1:25:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 9:14 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 11:15:22 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

OK: Since I have worked on only a few Campy components and owned even
fewer, can someone detail the mechanical and/or material differences
between the different levels of Campy equipment? To keep it simple,
let's discuss just the rear derailleurs. I'm just curious.

My experience is limited to Chorus ergo, Mirage Ergo, and Athena Ergo, all mid/late 90s vintage. The Mirage and Athena weren't too far apart, but the chorus was noticeably better, WAY better. It was more smooth, gave much better tactile feedback, seemed to set-up easier. Over the years, the Chorus has held up better as well. That's just my experience. I was also using SRAM cassettes at the time, so this applies to 'just rear derailleurs'.

I don't doubt your evaluation of the characteristics. But I'm still
curious about the specific mechanical and/or material differences that
generated those characteristics.

For example, ISTR hearing that decades ago, Campy derailleurs had
separate bushings for the various pivots, whereas most manufacturers
simply pivoted the main castings or forgings on the pivot pins, with no
separate bushings.

And of course, I may be wrong. I've worked on only a few Campy
derailleurs, and never considered disassembling the parallelogram. But
I'm curious about the technical/mechanical detail differences between
their models.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tell us Frank, what is the difference in SLX tubing set between the toptube and the seat stay?

Both are Cyclex material, seamless, but the seat tube is
butted and rifled on one end, the seat stay is not.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Also the wall thickness of the stays is much thicker than the toptube.