Old September 21st 19, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Article about SRAM in Forbes

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 9:54:19 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/21/2019 11:24 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Technical comment, my Thompson seat posts are noisy. The saddle clamp/carriage bolts creak like crazy, and I'm going to lube up my second post today -- the one on my commuter. With aluminum tubes, the creaking reverberates and sounds like the bike is falling apart.

I hesitate to say this, but on some non-moving metal to metal joints
(not just bicycle parts) I've had success by scraping some paraffin wax
onto the surfaces. It can last a long time. (Let the mockery begin!)

I'm not anti-wax. That would work, but I'll use grease. I was thinking of using PTFEE plumbers paste or anti-seize. I looked at the Thompson site, and it said "Grease only bolt threads. Do not grease under bolt head
or washer and do not use anti-seize." I wonder why no anti-seize.

-- Jay Beattie.