Old December 3rd 03, 05:23 AM
Rick

Default Risk Homeostasis - Drivers and Cyclists

....stuff deleted

Even service jobs aren't immune - witness the Dell tech support call
center debacle.

Which is why Dell is bringing many back, I predict more companies will do

so
in the future

Having worked in the computer industry for 15+ years, it is clear that most
companies will not be bringing back jobs to the US market. It is possible
for people in India, for example, to live comfortably on a salary that is
70-80% lower than a comparable job in San Jose. Companies threatened to move
business overseas about the time I started working in the industry because
US employees were too expensive. The H1B visas allowed foreign nationals to
be hired to fill technical jobs in the US even though their argument that
qualified workers could not be found here was hogwash.

In any case, these formerly high-paying jobs are moving to India, China,
Ireland, and Eastern Europe, and away from the US. The world economy will
eventually catch up, but until that happens, we can expect a gradual
decrease in the US economy until the whole situation stabalizes. This has
happened to Japan (as Korea, Taiwan, and China grew) and will happen here as
well.

Rick