Old October 7th 19, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default John Forester Speaks

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:46:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/7/2019 10:50 AM, Lars Lehtonen wrote:

Chalo wrote:
I don't want special bike-specific infrastructure. I want the cars gone, restricted to special motorsports facilities during limited hours and with extremely heavy taxation to help mitigate their pollution and noise.

I'm fine with an interim period where the cars stay, but with a 20mph

Here in the U.S., a universal 20 mph speed limit would never, ever be
accepted - not even by me. It would make it impossible to ever visit my
family members and most of my friends.

20 mph in residential and heavily used business and shopping areas could
make sense, though.

I would have said it could make sense any place there are more than a
few pedestrians or bicyclists, except that in most of the U.S. there are
very, very few pedestrians or bicyclists. Almost the entire country has
been built with the automobile in mind. That's very difficult to change.

Lets be rational and say that in the U.S. there will never be any real
change. Speed limits are not going to be lowered and no significant
bicycle only paths are going to be built. Oh yes, there will be lines
painted on roads and old, unused, railway right of ways renamed
"Bicycle Path" but will over passes or tunnels at intersections to
allow crossing the intersection on city streets without worrying about
stop lights and folks turning be built as they are for cars?

I remember, years ago in Los Angeles there was an attempt by the city
government to get a bond issue approved to built a public
transportation system and it was voted down two years in a row. "What
for a public transportation system? Just take the car."
--
cheers,

John B.