Old October 8th 19, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default John Forester Speaks

On 10/8/2019 11:51 AM, Lars Lehtonen wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Here in the U.S., a universal 20 mph speed limit would never, ever be
accepted - not even by me. It would make it impossible to ever visit my
family members and most of my friends.

Interstates excluded, of course.

That doesn't fix the concept of "20 mph everywhere". Of the friends I
can visit only by driving, the two I see most often live 35 miles away.
The route to their houses uses only three miles of interstate. The rest
of the roads are minor highways or country roads with speed limits from
40 mph to 55 mph.

The route to my brother has roughly ten miles of interstate and 35 miles
of minor highways and country roads. And I have other examples.

Low speeds may be appropriate in dense surroundings, but certainly not
everywhere. To make that practical, you'd have to completely rebuild
America.

--
- Frank Krygowski