Old October 3rd 05, 08:09 AM
Bill Henry

Default bike route: sidewalk?

brink wrote:

i know this seems a little paranoid but i can't easily shake that riding on
the sidewalk was "wrong"... ;-)

Well, I think for certain areas, riding on the sidewalk is okay.

Many bridges, for example, have large walkways/sidewalks where
bicyclists are supposed to go and it is probably safer than trying to
squeeze them into a lane with a bunch of dazed drivers who are going
much faster.

This is the same reason I won't ride on the freeway - I'd be paranoid
about getting clipped by someone from behind.

As for basic riding on city streets, I'll ride with traffic then and not
feel uncomfortable.