Old October 3rd 05, 09:50 PM
Roger Zoul

Default bike route: sidewalk?

jj wrote:
: On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 18:07:10 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
: wrote:
:
:jj wrote:
:
: They have this in Va Beach - almost double wide sidewalks marked up
: as bike lanes but only one one side of the street.
:
: The problem is, when you come back along the same route, you're
: riding against traffic, and should you need to cross the street,
: it's
: problematic, especially if the sidewalk/route borders a divided
: highway, again, because the sidewalk/bike route is typically only
: on
: one side of the street.
:
: You're left with trying to cross the street going against traffic
: or
: using the crosswalk or some kludge. Doubt the 'planners' rode this
: route to assess the utility of single side of the road double
: sidewalk riding.
:
:These are an abomination. I wish we could get a state law passed
:banning them.
:
:Matt O.
:
: Yeah, because of the frequently hedge-shielded driveways it's one of
: the
: more dangerous areas I've ridden and I just go out on the road now.
: Drivers just don't expect you there.
:
: On a similar note, I've had to hollar at several drivers lately. One
: lady coming up a hill, gravel, similar to a driveway to my right to
: merge onto
: my road and saw me coming,

How do you know she saw you, jj? did you wave at her and see her wave back?

started to move out saw I continued
: riding by, tried to edge out again, as though 'hey you're a bike you
: stop, me go'. Fortunately she stopped when I hollared, but dammit if
: she wouldn't have
: just watched herself drive into the side of me if I hadn't yelled.
:
: Another driver is coming up behind me, down a long slow
: straightaway, and
: I'm watching her in my mirror. She continues on a path to run me
: over, surprisingly, and just as I'm about to dive for the hedgerows,
: she swerves over, as though she was driving with eyes closed up
: until then.

Maybe she didn't see you. You still wearing black?

:
: Finally right in front of my house I'm getting ready to swing around
: and go into my driveway and do a quick check mirror check and YIKES,
: a little red
: car slowly and silently following me so closely it makes me jump to
: see
: her. No danger of being hit, but crap who follows that closely,
: maybe three feet off my rear wheel - and why!

Maybe she was spying your bums, man!

:
: A few feet further and she turns into her driveway one up from mine.
: Dumbass.

hmmm...... It really could have been a judgment call in her part, however
poor.