Old March 15th 05, 04:27 PM
John Everett

On 15 Mar 2005 04:41:46 -0800, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

chrisfreeman wrote:
Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike
versus purchasing a complete bike at the LBS?

It really depends on how good a deal you can get on components. I think
it's impossible to get a deal on a full set of components at once, so
you need to be prepared to collect them over some period of time.

When I was racing our team had a sponsorship deal with an LBS that
included buying parts at dealer net. Once when I had a MTB frame given
to me I purchased a "build kit" from the shop. It did indeed include a
"full set of components at once" (Shimano Deore LX), including wheels
(Wheelsmith built Mavic X221 rims on the LX hubs) and tires. I don't
know who packages the "build kits", but I was in the shop when the kit
arrived and it was all packed in one box, so I know the shop didn't
make it up.

I mentioned the dealer net deal because several times I spotted
components in mail order catalogs or on the net. When I asked about
ordering the same parts on our sponsorship deal I was told the shop
couldn't get those parts at the prices being advertised. Items that I
recall specifically included a Dura Ace 8-speed to 9-speed upgrade
kit, and a Selle Italia Flite saddle, both of which I was advised to
purchased from the mail order source.

It probably should not come as a complete surprise that the shop in
question went out of business a couple of years ago. :-(

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3