Old July 26th 05, 04:35 PM
Werehatrack

Default The mysterious Leopard bicycle

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:41:39 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:49:14 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

That's pretty much an absolutely typical Euro everyday ride.

Actually, my experience is that 3speed hubs or singlespeed w/ coaster
brake and a fully enclosed chain is more typical than derailleur for
commuters, although in some countries derailleurs did start appearing in
numbers in the seventies/eighties.

Until the early '90s, from what I'm told, the 3-speeds still were the
most numerous in lots of places, but from what I hear now, the ders
have displaced the fully enclosed drive to a significant extent. I
think it's probably the deadly combination of lower cost and greater
gearing range that has turned the tide.

The half-length chain guards on the der-equipped bikes are still very
much a European thing.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.