Old July 30th 19, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 3:49:01 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:08:54 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:45:41 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Heat exhaustion, by whatever name can be deadly. When I was at Edwards
AFB, in the Mojave Desert a couple of rock hounds got their jeep
bogged down and decided to walk out to the main road, maybe 2 miles,
at high noon. They didn't make it.

One thing I did do right was to call for help.

Certainly.
The military, not wanting their troops to be dropping dead all over
the campus gave us special training about working in high temperature
and very low humidity areas, and one of the things that they
emphasized was "if you feel bad holler for help" as you can go from
feeling bad to unconscious in a very short time, under certain
conditions.

These heat problems aren't unusual. A seven year old boy I know was recently
on a day care field trip on a hot day. Standing outside in the sun with his
classmates, he suddenly folded up and fainted. They got him out of the sun and
cooled him off with water and ice, and he was perfect within five minutes.

Also, years ago our local high school band was marching and playing for a
local parade on a hot day, wearing full uniforms. As the stood at attention,
first one kid, then about five more in quick succession crumpled to the ground.

It makes me wonder how Americans in the 1800s dealt with the heat and humidity
around here. The fashion was to wear layers and layers of clothing.

- Frank Krygowski