Old November 26th 17, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default FLU

On 2017-11-25 12:51, wrote:
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 1:48:06 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
the foil joke may prevent you from arranging with/into
your environment

try this ... if foil was a component then why not ....
?

J this is an older German architectural/psych concept:
terracotta buildings are healthier than steel reinforced
concrete ...a much larger off the ground scale

I cannot locate current info on the net

Steel re-enforced in most cases means some big residential
highrise in a congested area. No wonder that those people
are or feel less healthy. I have never understood the
desire of city folk to cram together like sardines in a
can.

Try an intro Anthropology book some time. Before The Inter
Webs, close proximity promoted exchange of ideas and
specialization of effort. Still does to some extent.

It does, though specialization is not always a good thing. It
results, for example, in people who can't even fix a flat.
Their tool of fixing just about anything is the yellow pages.

Fixing a flat IS specialization, particularly a tubular. Are you
saying the rugged individualists in Cameron Park -- a golf
community with an airstrip -- are more likely to fix their own
flats than the downtrodden city dwellers in, say, Portland or
Minneapolis?

Probably yes. For example, the folks in the airpark almost always
have a very well equipped hangar-size garage with huge tool chests.
Many also have certificates entitling them to officially repair
aircraft. If you can fix a leaking tire on an aircraft you can fix
it on a bicycle.

Do the airplane guys even own bikes?
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/O...al-2522165.php
It seems like the idea is to burn fuel.

Many have bikes in their large garages. Not that they ride any more than
many of the other garage queen owners but for sure they'd know how to
fix it.

I probably see one-hundred times the cyclists you see on a daily
basis. I can guaranty you that all of them know how to fix a flat.

I have personally met several who didn't (and I fixed it for them).

https://bikeportland.org/2016/05/04/...o-essay-182506

Wow, the helmet quota is even higher than here where it's already well
over 95%.

These are ordinary city dwellers who actually ride and who account
for an appreciable share of traffic. They also do super-gnarly
weekend rides where they get to jump in puddles and drink beer!

BTW, I was flying with my brother yesterday in one of his planes. He
doesn't work on that plane because it has a RR jet turbine engine --
not something for the home mechanic.

No, and he must be super rich if that's just one of his planes. Attorney?

... He does have a Trek city bike
with flat tires in his garage, but I'm confident that the can pump
those up -- even though he is a city dweller who lives in a condo
tower.

Different story. This is about the ability to fix a defect that isn't
just lack of air.

As for health, dense living results in lot of civilization
diseases, higher stress levels and nowadays lung diseases
because of pollution. Probably also more cancer. Just about
every time I reach the top of the last hill to ride into the
Sacramento Valley I see that brownish smog line and I am
thankful not to have to live down there. Other times I can
literally smell it.

And yet, you're headed to Sacramento to get goods and services
lacking in Cameron Park -- which is not surprising, since it was
designed as a parasitic bedroom community carved out of a
cow-pasture/vinyard. Rugged individualists with cars and strip
malls.

No, I take my pick. Often, like two days ago, I point the MTB east
and go to the Placerville area. They've got hardware stores and
just about everything needed. I never ride into Sacramento for
errands, if west I go to Folsom. I like to patronize their
businesses because that community did and does a stellar job for
cycling infrastructure. That needs to be rewarded. As long as you
don't ride much past Rancho Cordova the smell of smog won't
intensify too badly. Plus you are far off car traffic because it is
a bikle path separated so far that all you usually see is river and
nature.

BTW, rural populations typically fare worse in terms of physical
and mental health.
https://hpi.georgetown.edu/agingsoci...ral/rural.html

That is largely because of the much higher percentage of people
with longterm substance abuse problems, and most of all smoking. If
you live a healthy lifestyle country living is way better for you.

Since when is Cameron Park "country living."

Since pretty much forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfqa_fXf-DE

... It's a f***** synthetic
community built around a golf course within commuting distance of
SAC. It's a commuter suburb. It's everything bad about land use and
planning in California. It's a virus. I'd be ashamed to live there.
You should move to a real town -- maybe Hurricane, UT or some other
moonscape where the rugged individuals know how to fix a flat!

Hurricane is precisely one of the areas on our radar for a potential
retirement move. St.George is too large for me but the surrounding
places are nice.

Also, with all the wood stove burning and automobiles in Cameron
Park, you'd have smog too if the town were in a valley, like
Sacramento.

We don't. Except on very cold days for the occasional expression
censored who are too incompetent to operate a wood stove.

When I worked in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento Valley) I could
sometimes feel the pollution in my lungs. Coming up the Bass Lake
Grade I rolled down the windows "Aaaah, finally fresh air". No that
I don't have to commute anymore I get fresh air all the time.

I get fresh air all the time, too, except where there are forest
fires. In fact, my air quality is better than yours:

My zip:
https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...19&s ubmit=Go
("Good")

Your zip:
https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...62&s ubmit=Go
("Moderate")

Gads! I'd stay indoors if I were you!

There is still some fire smell in the air. Remember that we had some big
ones? It was on the news.

Portland is too rainy and cold for us. Also, when moving for retirement
I'll make 110% sure we won't get into another liberal state. Which is
why California would be out for that purpose and so is Oregon. Now Idaho
would be nice but too cold for my wife.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/