Old March 19th 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default How long should pedals last?

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 12:46:05 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
Yesterday one of the pedals on my road bike started making noise. By the
end of the ride there was a large amount of play on the pedal axle. I
was waiting for the whole thing to disintegrate but I made it home.

I ordered some new MKS pedals this morning, but I'm wondering what kind
of mileage I should get out of a set of pedals. These are the original
pedals that came with my Specialized Sirrus. They are plaform pedals,
since I prefer toe-clips to SPD.

Also breaking yesterday was my Nashbar floor pump, after fixing a flat
on my wife's bicycle (and the glue in my REMA patch kit was dried up)
the check valve was flaky and the handle also kept coming out of the
tube section. Pumped up the tires with my old Zefal HPX. Ordered a new
pump along with the pedals.

Ate lunch in Shallow Alto where Apple was having some Apple Pay
promotion at a bunch of stores and restaurants, but of course couldn't
get the lunch deal with my Android phone. This was iDiscrimination.

Came home and there had been a power failure and my Internet was down
because the UPS had blown.

Platforms? Infinite depending on the pedal. I've still got Campy track pedals from the '70s. The four cyclists of the apocalypse will ride in on those things. They last forever like Andrew C. said.

Some of the MKS available at my LBS are pretty robust and others are not. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=1671

The meth-heads left a pair of the MKS Prime Sylvan Touring pedals on my stolen Roubaix. The seals look pretty good, but the bearings and races are undoubtedly cheap. They'll get swapped off the bike once my son gets out of his ortho-boots (the Roubaix is his trainer bike), so I'll never know how long they might last in the wild. I'd guess a couple of years of daily commuting, depending on how often I greased the bearings. I would not expect them to break outright, i.e. snap at the spindle.

Also, most floor pumps are fixable. You just buy a new valve if necessary or fix the old one -- and same with pedals unless the bearings are shot or it uses a failed plastic threaded insert. But most cheap pedals use the old cone/washer/locknut design. http://sheldonbrown.com/images/pedal...ngIMG_5673.JPG

If your pedals got sloppy, it might just be a loose locknut -- unless they use a single bearing with an end bushing and some crappy threaded plastic piece that gave up.

I have an old Performance Hurricane floor pump with an after-market gauge, hose, and head. It's my favorite pump.

-- Jay Beattie.