Old January 16th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Disc Rotor Refurb?

Chalo wrote:
PeteCresswell wrote:
A new 6" rotor is only about twenty bucks, but I've accumulated a
few rotors that *look* ok, but pulse badly.

Tried boiling in water for awhile on the latest one, but no
change.

I thought sand blasting for a moment, and then it seemed like
that would be asking for irregularities in thickness.

Anybody got a tried-and-true method of refurbishing a rotor that
doesn't require a machine shop?

Scotchbrite? Wet-or-dry silicon carbide paper? Brake cleaner spray?
All of the above?

It sounds to me like your rotors have some tenacious lubricant residue
on them, and if you can remove the residue or the surface upon which
it's deposited, you'll be back in business.

Chalo

Brakleen or Berkebile 2+2 (carb cleaner) are great solvents when
everything else fails. I always have a can or two around even if I'm
working on something non-automotive.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.