Old January 27th 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Some lives matter. Some don't

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:01:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

And yet we have people here saying a cyclist should always stay far
right, that controlling a lane is dangerous.

If she had been in front of the trucker, he'd have seen her and slowed.

But if a cyclist can't bring himself/herself to do that, at least NEVER
put yourself to the right of a vehicle that might turn right. Especially
a large vehicle like a truck or bus.

Right hooks are deadly. (Left hooks in drive-on-left countries.)

A few years ago there was a huge outrage about cyclist deaths in London
(even though, as usual, far more pedestrians died). It came out that
most of those deaths were left hooks, usually women, who pulled up along
big lorries. Some said the women were too "polite" to avoid the curb and
get in the traffic lane.

I am a bit puzzled with these right/left hooked accidents. Don't
people turn their heads to look and see what is creeping up beside
them? I certainly do - every driveway turning onto "my street"; every
corner, every junction, I look to see what is coming. Shoot, I even
look back over my shoulder to see what is coming up behind me.

Don't other people?
--
Cheers,

John B.