Old December 14th 16, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Age and Heart Rates

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:43:32 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:

I also see that sometimes guys blast by me at high speed and then go
on out of sight :-)

If I'm riding solo and ride up to someone that is only a bit slower I don't like to pass them as if to show that I'm faster. So I'll tag along four or five lengths back. I have to be careful though because this will often spur them on to ride harder than they can do and they will abruptly slow down as they reach their limits that they wouldn't do if I'd just carefully passed them.

It's always a problem. If you pass them too slowly they take it as a challenge. If you pass them too rapidly, an insult.

Once in awhile someone will come by me very fast and get up a little way and slow down showing that they had strained to pass you. I tend to let them go but once in awhile I'll see them pass too closely to someone else on the road and will run them down and pass them. This is especially effective near the top of a hill since most people can't stay with me on the downhills.