Old December 16th 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

Default Age and Heart Rates

On 2016-12-15 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

Now if after you warm up you ride well below your threshold you
can restore these reserves but it is VERY slow. One of the
reasons I stopped riding with my local group because their idea
of a warm-up was riding across the parking lot and out onto the
street.

Within a couple of minutes they would be going flat out up a 7%
grade. And the guys that got to the top first would be figiting
to leave before the last arrived.

I try not to do that though sometimes I try a hill, see if I can
get up there in 2nd gear. Or maybe even 3rd. But I never race
people uphill.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Commuters don't commute far.

It depends. The commuters from here to Rancho Cordova and areas around
the industrial parks down there have 20-25mi each way. In the morning it
is a breeze but back up means about 10mi of hills, for a net climb of
1300-1400ft. I do that once or twice a week. For me it's errand runs or
fun rides with a stop at a brewpub. No more growlers lately because I
became a "serial homebrewer". A Belgian Tripel is brewing downstairs
right now.

... They have the luxury of getting to work
rapidly and then sitting at a desk for the rest of the day. And if
you eat some protein you can limit the muscle damage.

Where I live is different. If I get a job in the area I want I could
be commuting 50 km each way. And because of the traffic I could even
be faster counting both the stop and go traffic and the more direct
path I could take as a bicyclist.

That's over 30mi each way. A lot. Not sure if I'd do that but if not
many hills probably yes.