Old March 13th 19, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 2019-03-10 06:34, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc
brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I
am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and
certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim
brakes a dead deal.

Disc brakes are simply better. Take a look around around automotive and
motorcycles. How many new cars and motorcycles are there that still have
drum brakes in front?

On Sunday I experienced the umpteenth reminder why rim brakes are
inferior. We had to cross some unpaved area on the road bikes and it had
rained. Muddy. Afterwards a descent on pavement, I reached in and after
the usual and expected one-second of zero brake action the rim brakes
came on. There was an awful grinding noise, you could literally hear
aluminum being eaten.

If I ever need a new road bike it will have disc brakes or I won't buy.

A bit of wet mud isn't the end of rim brakes. Hose them off and they'll
be fine.

--
JS