Old June 17th 20, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:49:38 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:24:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 12:32:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Go to Google Maps, measure the distance the cyclist travelled, divide by the time it took.
The numerical answer is left as a exercise for the student.

No need:

QUOTE:
GPS data included on the video footage shows the cyclist was travelling at 20mph at the time.
ENDS

There is video evidence that the driver overtook the cyclist on double unbroken lines when he was travelling at more than DOUBLE the legal speed. Plus it was also unsafe.

It's perfectly safe to overtake a narrow vehicle at only 20mph.

Nobody except those with OCD take those lines seriously, they're a guide telling you it's difficult to see oncoming traffic.

Do the police have OCD?

QUOTE:
“The wheels of justice turn slowly,” the saying goes – but not in our latest Near Miss of the Day video, where a driver who had made a close pass on a cyclist was immediately pulled over and given a fine by a police officer travelling behind them who saw what had happened.

The officer told road.cc reader Liam, who filmed the footage last weekend, that he “though he was a goner” when he saw the driver overtake him, and immediately went full blues and twos as he went after the motorist, giving the cyclist plenty of room as he did so.

Liam told us: “Travelling along Lanark road in South Lanarkshire this driver decided to overtake on a solid white line with oncoming traffic.

“I had already suffered verbal abuse and impatient drivers on this ride (this was the first weekend all the garden centres on this road had reopened which probably explains why everyone was in such a rush).

“Couldn't believe my luck when I heard a police car go past me immediately afterwards with lights on.

“Was told by the police officer I gave my statement to who ‘thought I was a goner’ that the driver was receiving an on the spot ticket for careless driving.

“Nice bit of instant karma for a change!”

We agree. And it's also nice to have a Near Miss of the Day video that puts a smile on our face for a change.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...Gz6eeJU-xMWu_s