Old June 29th 20, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default LETTER - Southampton's transport plan will benefit everyone

On 29/06/2020 12:55, JNugent wrote:
On 29/06/2020 07:47, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/06/2020 15:29, JNugent wrote:
On 28/06/2020 11:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 26/06/2020 10:57, JNugent wrote:
On 25/06/2020 14:05, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: And at around 12mph I have time to brake for
pedestrians that seem to just ignore you on those left hand
turns ENDQUOTE

A clear indication that the writer does not know the law
concerning turning traffic and pedestrians...

...but knows the overriding directive not to run them over.

Frightening pedestrians by riding straight at them or
remonstrating with them when they have the right of way (but the
cyclist at best appears not to know that) is unacceptable. I'm
sure you will agree. At least, I hope you will.

You're right. It is not acceptable to frighten pedestrians by
driving one and a half tonnes or more at them.

It's not a law. #170 Take extra care at junctions. You should
... give way.

It's not difficult to notice most drivers don't have a clue.

Even if that were true (it isn't), it wouild not be relevant.

Don't be stupid.

The "big boys do it" defence is not valid.

Then you admit the big boys do it. Then big boys shouldn't point
their finger.

Which part of "even if it were true" were you unable to understand?

It is true.

A few months ago, I was behind another cyclist that I knew and
we were about to turn left. There was a pedestrian on the
pavement and he (the cyclist) slowed to let the pedestrian
pass.

I thought to myself "well done, someone that understands the
rules". Moments later he spoke to me saying that he slowed
down because the pedestrian didn't seem to be paying
attention.

I told him that he was supposed to give way when turning. He
genuinely thought he had been the hero.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

You didn't make a point.

I had already made it.

The original (cyclist) writer quoted by Simon plainly did not know
that he is obliged, when turning from one street into another, to
give way to pedestrians already dcrossing the street into which he is
turning.

QUOTE: And at around 12mph I have time to brake for pedestrians that
seem to just ignore you on those left hand turns ENDQUOTE

As I said at the beginning: "A clear indication that the writer does
not know the law concerning turning traffic and pedestrians...".

That doesn't make him any worse than driver. And considerably
less dangerous.

But he is a cyclist. As we are all aware, those parts of the Highway
Code and the Road Traffic Acts that cyclists actually do know they
just ignore anyway.

We are not aware.