Old January 10th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 16:42:20 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
On 1/9/2017 4:40 PM, wrote:
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 2:27:01 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 2:15:41 PM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:43:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

As a last resort, once I simply pulled out the bottom
bracket via the fixed side and then spend half a day
cutting the adjustable cup with a hacksaw blade up to but
not touching the threads. This allowed the cup to collapse
partially when the pin spanner was applied and come loose.

If you have an aluminum frame and BB you cannot leave them
outside in the winter and should not ride through water
deep enough to threaten the integrity of the coupling.

By the way - you ARE turning the adjustable cup off
clockwise aren't you?

No, counterclockwise--same direction the lockring came off,
and the direction that every website I looked at called for.
As I understand it, the fixed cup may be threaded the other
direction.

Uh, Ted, what does the lock ring and the fixed cup have
stamped on them? Unless your Tandem is Italian the bottom
bracket is probably either French of most probably English.
That means that the adjustable side (left ride looking
forward) will be threaded BACKWARDS. And it will unwind in a
clockwise direction.

That is one of the most common errors of people taking bottom
brackets out for the first half dozen times.

Since I'm not familiar with Tandems anymore perhaps I should
ask some questions: Going back I note that your Tandem is a
Rodriguez. So it definitely does have an English bottom
bracket.

On what SIDE of the bike is the adjustable cup?

next to the stoker's left foot.

Correct. On the timing chain side. The fixed cup is on the drive
chain side (by stoker's right foot).

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA