Old January 11th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:57:02 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 12:23:50 PM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:43:16 AM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
"Doug Landau" wrote in message
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:55:19 AM UTC-8, David Scheidt wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

:I want to know why it works at least twice as good as the others on
:the list.

My experience is that it doesn't. That's just one of the reasons no
one puts it in a can and sells it commercially. I read the original
article, a long time ago, and as I recall the testing method was about
as scientfic as drawing lots.

Commercial penetrating oils are far superior.

Coca-cola?

Apparently it contains phosphoric acid - which is also an ingredient of
some
rust treatments.

The rust is chemically converted into iron phosphate - the end result
bears
some resemblance to the metal equivalent of polystyrene cement.

Where did you get the idea that Coca Cola contains any sort of phosphate?
Other than phosphate salts, most phosphate compounds are poisonous.

From the ingredients label.

Citric Acid
Caffeine
Sugar
Water
Vanilla
Caramel

Which one of those is "phosphate"?

What's *your* source? I read

http://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com...cts/coca-cola/

and saw:

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color,
phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.

The original allegation was that Coca Cola contains phosphoric
acid.

Buffered phosphoric acid, or "acid phosphate", was an ingredient in soda
fountain drinks for many years. Now you can buy it again:

http://prairiemoon.biz/Horsfords-Ext...oz_p_1427.html

Quaff in moderation, many claim that excessive phosphoric acid
consumption results in calcium loss from the skeleton.

--

A bottle of Coca Cola. I don't drink any softdrinks but always keep
that old bottle around to remind me why I don't. Maybe that's Mexican

Mexican Coca Cola uses cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup,
but it still contains phosphoric acid. Are you sure you don't have some
generic cola?