Old January 15th 17, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 06:33:45 +0700,
John B wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:46:53 -0500, Ted Heise
wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, AMuzi wrote:

Just to clarify (I have spent a lot of time with Angel
Rodriguez and in his shop; your BB is BSC threaded) the chain
side (right side when riding) cup is reverse thread. The
non-drive side (clean side, adjustable side, left side)
unscrews like a jar lid.

Okay, after nearly a week of daily Blaster drips, I got
replacement pins last night. Today I was able to get the
adjustable cup out, a bit of back and forth helped.

Now I'm tackling the fixed cup, using the large bolts and
wrenches as described by Sheldon. So far I haven't been able
to get it to budge, and before I spend too much time moosing on
it I want to double confirm it is reverse threaded. In other
words, I should be turning from the outside of the shell and
not from the inside.

Thanks again to all for the great tips!

I've never been able to make Sheldon's scheme of a bolt, nut
and washers work as he described it. What I have had success
with was using a nut, bolt and washers to clamp the correct
size wrench in place so it didn't slip when loosening the fixed
cup. I've no idea of costs in the U.S. but here a cheap Chinese
wrench costs, maybe, a dollar, or even three :-)

Yes, as someone else mentioned (sorry, I've lost track of who to
acknowledge) the Sheldon scheme doesn't give as good purchase on
the fixed cup. I found that no matter how tight I got the
bolt-washer-nut assembly, it slipped on the fixed cup when trying
to turn the whole shebang with wrenches from both sides.

I've got the cheap Chinese tool, and will give it a go after I
pick up a larger washer to help secure it in place.

Thanks for the help!

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA