Old December 7th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default bottom bracket advice

Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
Hi,

My bottom bracket is knackared. The axle on the side of the front
sprocket (left side) seems to have shortened meaning my front sprocket
doesn't have enough clearance from the frame so it rubs against my
derailer cable causing it to wear out and snap.

I need to replace the bottom bracket. It is +not+ a new bike.

It is a standard 68mm wide BB with a 116 mm axle, English threading.
This is the standard BB size for bikes in UK.

Go to your local LBS and tell them you need a new BB. A standard
UN52/UN53 or if you want metal lock rings, a UN72/73 should be fine.
one of these
http://wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Mai...8922&UberCat=0

http://tinyurl.com/copf9

should be fine. Get the 68 shell, 118mm length, or get your LBS to sort
it for you.

...d

Here are the specs:

Make: Shimano BB-CT90
Other info: VIA 68 SL
BC1 37x24
YL 116

The model is mentioned on Sheldon Brown's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Slightly worring entry:

Altus CT90 Triple 116-121 Square 47.5-50 Recalled! Do Not Use!
See Shimano dealer for free replacement. Compact 1995

I have two questions:

* anyone know where I can get one these?
* how can I know if a different model is a suitable replacement? is this
a good idea?