Mudguards ( the lack of)

Old June 26th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Default Mudguards ( the lack of)

Marz wrote:
On Jun 26, 3:43 am, Bod wrote:
Why is it, that most cycles are sold minus mudguards?
Is it just cost cutting or what?
In my eyes, they are an essential requirement.Years ago, all
bicycles were equipped with them,why the change?

The only thing mudguards do on mountain bike is get clogged with mud.
Not a lot use.

Not on ordinary roads surely?
Old June 26th 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On Jun 26, 10:50*am, Bod wrote:
Marz wrote:
On Jun 26, 3:43 am, Bod wrote:
Why is it, that most cycles are sold minus mudguards?
Is it just cost cutting or what?
In my eyes, they are an essential requirement.Years ago, all
bicycles were equipped with them,why the change?

The only thing mudguards do on mountain bike is get clogged with mud.
Not a lot use.

Not on ordinary roads surely?

No true, not on ordinary roads. But venturing off road as 90% of my
riding does, useless.
Old June 26th 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Stan Cox wrote:
Keitht wrote:
Rob Horton wrote:

Who's Stan?

Marshall Mathers

HTH

Ooooh how I loath that song.

Stan Cox

People going on about you disposing of the family or the Dido singing?

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old June 26th 09, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Keitht
writes

I( fitted mudgurds to my hybrid as I don't like a wet arse and I don''t
like sitting inside someone elses rooster tail. My mudguards come off
fairly easy and are designed to come off by themselves (most times) if
they get clogged.
The fully-fitted front ones can be a hazard if the top fitting goes and
it whips round and jams the wheel. ---- 13 yrs old, paper round on a
Sunday - bag was on handlebars. Mudguard went, bike stopped instantly,
I found myself sitting on the pavement wondering how I'd got there.
Forks were bent, still had papers to deliver and did the usual cyclists
thang of carry on and get the bike home. The Claude never was the same
afterwards.

Yup, it is a real risk.

Any decent mudguards nowadays should come with fittings on the stays
that detach to stop such accidents
--
Chris French

Old June 26th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 26 June, 16:50, Bod wrote:
Marz wrote:
On Jun 26, 3:43 am, Bod wrote:
Why is it, that most cycles are sold minus mudguards?
Is it just cost cutting or what?
In my eyes, they are an essential requirement.Years ago, all
bicycles were equipped with them,why the change?

The only thing mudguards do on mountain bike is get clogged with mud.
Not a lot use.

Not on ordinary roads surely?

Yes, but anyone who uses a mountain bike to ride on ordinary roads is
this: barking.
Old June 26th 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:01:41 -0700 (PDT), Simon Brooke
wrote:

Yes, but anyone who uses a mountain bike to ride on ordinary roads is
this: barking.

The roads are nearly as bad in Dagenham, I am told.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old June 26th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday

Rob Horton wrote:

Who's Stan?

Sid's brother, who works for the gas board, I believe.
Old June 26th 09, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:46:37 +0100, Rob Horton
wrote:

Who's Stan?

One of the minor demons. Like Phil, the Prince of Insufficient Light.

Guy
Old June 27th 09, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message
,
Simon Brooke writes
On 26 June, 16:50, Bod wrote:
Marz wrote:
On Jun 26, 3:43 am, Bod wrote:
Why is it, that most cycles are sold minus mudguards?
Is it just cost cutting or what?
In my eyes, they are an essential requirement.Years ago, all
bicycles were equipped with them,why the change?

The only thing mudguards do on mountain bike is get clogged with mud.
Not a lot use.

Not on ordinary roads surely?

Yes, but anyone who uses a mountain bike to ride on ordinary roads is
this: barking.

Or rather, an MTB with knobblies. With road tyres it's fine
--
Chris French

Old June 27th 09, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Simon Brooke wrote:

Yes, but anyone who uses a mountain bike to ride on ordinary roads is
this: barking.

Woof

mudguards Coach UK 3 November 17th 06 08:59 AM
New mudguards Budstaff UK 8 March 29th 06 06:39 PM
mudguards anjuna UK 46 January 15th 06 10:46 AM
Mudguards Alan Paterson UK 10 August 13th 04 10:33 AM
20" mudguards ? kingsley Australia 3 April 5th 04 12:26 PM