AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old September 9th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Do as I say, not as I do

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 11:40:44 +0000, Ivan Shmakov
wrote:

I saw no need to cool my drinks, even though the temperature
here in summer does reach 80-100 F. (One trip this summer,
the water felt almost hot. Never thought of it as an issue.)

My father was extremely opposed to chilled drinks while working hard
in hot weather -- but he did like for the water we brought to him to
be at well-bottom temperature.

I use chilled water as a hydration aid. When I've poured a quarter
bottle of melted ice, I'm strongly motivated to drink it up before it
gets warm. (Since I nearly always insulate one pannier with
newspapers, keeping chilled water cold is rarely extra trouble.)

But hot water from parking in the sun goes down too. Not too often,
since there is usually shade, or I take my bottle in with me. Once,
long ago and far away, I drank a bottle of water I'd drawn from a hose
that had been in the sun several hours -- not only well above ambient,
but stinky.

But I rejected[1] water from a drinking fountain that never stopped
running hot, and thereafter gave up refilling at that fountain even
though sporadic checks never again caught it above ambient. It's only
ten more minutes to a fountain that I'm *sure* is potable.

[1] I did fill my spare bottle in case the half-bottle didn't last
ten minutes, but I dumped it at the next stop.

Won't be long before I start putting bottles in the pannier to keep
them warm. I wore a long-sleeved T-shirt under my thicker cotton
jersey when I went to the grocery for cream cheese today, and it
wasn't quite enough.

Also found a small, thick sirloin steak in the quick sale bin, and
baked it an hour at three-fifty F after rubbing it with soybean oil,
with potatoes and vegetables seasoned with peanut oil in a separate
skillet. We both liked it very much; I ate the juicy gristle, he ate
the dry filets between the streaks of gristle.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old September 9th 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ivan Shmakov

Default AG: Prejudice not justified?

Joy Beeson writes:

I thought that Ride+Walk Warsaw+WL was founded or inspired by the
League Against Bicycling, but perhaps I was wrong, or perhaps it has
been infiltrated by a cyclist. The following appeared on their
Facebook page:

Although legal to do in Warsaw -- except in the downtown business
district, riding your bike on the side walk is not recommended for
the following reasons: 1) Other road users are not expecting cyclists
on sidewalks, especially motorists crossing intersections and pulling
out of driveways and alleys. 2) Pedestrians are unpredictable and
may not be expecting you. 3) Uneven surfaces and blind corners can
create dangerous situations.

Consider this, if riding on one sidewalk in a typical neighborhood
block there may be 10 driveways which are essentially intersections
to be aware of -- but if you are on the street there is more
visibility and room to see a vehicle backing out onto the street.

If you do decide to ride on the sidewalk follow these
recommendations: 1) Ride very slowly -- at a walking pace. 2) By
law, you must follow all the road rules that apply to the parallel
road, including one-way riding, stop signs etc. etc. 3) Yield to all
pedestrians.

Where I live, the regulations explicitly permit riding on the
sidewalk (although that's probably a recent -- as in, this
decade -- change), yet only allow pedestrian crossings to be
traversed on foot. (Thus if you don't like having to get off
the bike at every intersection, you take the road proper.)
Which I suppose covers the "motorists crossing intersections"
part above.

I'm also unsure about "road rules that apply to the parallel road"
around here, but otherwise the above sounds like a sane advice.

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. A Tiny Spaceship's Final Mission -- FantomenK
Old September 10th 17, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Nothing to say

Went to a birthday party today and don't feel like writing.

And I did no riding to speak of this week.

I went to the Farmer's Market on Wednesday because I knew I wouldn't
be able to buy tomatoes today (I did steal one from the offerings at
the party). On the way back, I was overtaken by a school bus that
didn't get over any because I was foolish enough to be riding in a
bike lane, and realized that I'd gotten over my big yellow slab phobia
-- perhaps that dates back to the day I remembered what had brought it
on; I should write a detailed account of it in my training diary.

Then I yielded to the temptation to go into International Foods --
didn't find anything I wanted that I hadn't already bought -- stayed
too long, and got rained on on the way back. Not wet enough to need
to change clothes, the weather wasn't dangerously cold for an active
person who wouldn't be out in it long, and I'm sure that sprinting the
full length of the village did me some good.

The ten-day prediction had said that yesterday would be the only dry
day this week, so I planned to devil the eggs Thursday night and go
for a long ride on Friday. Couldn't think of anywhere to go, and
finally decided to check out the progress of the new Aldi, look at the
roundabout to see whether there were signs that Husky Trail would open
soon, then wander around on my way to the soon-to-be-former Aldi.
(Hope they have a buyer to put in something as good as the Big R that
replaced Walmart; not being able to stop at Aldi in sprawlmart will
mess up most of my exercise routines.)

Thursday night I felt tired and boiling eggs seemed like an
intellectual challenge and besides we didn't have any cream cheese. So
I decided on a straight dash to Aldi and back, and devil eggs right
after nap time.

Upon rising, I discovered that the dry day had been postponed to
today, and said "hey, Owen's (Kroger) sells cream cheese". The
probability of rain was dropping rapidly, so I fiddle-faddled around
until ten o'clock or so, rode 1.6 miles, enjoyed lovely weather coming
back again, and had lunch and a nap. I'd found a thick sirloin in the
WooHoo bin, so I first cut up vegetables to bake in a smallest skillet
while the steak baked in the second smallest, and then devilled the
eggs while dinner was baking. DH says that he wants his steaks baked
instead of pan-broiled from now on.

And today I spent two hours sitting in a car, three or four feeding my
face, and another two hours sitting in the car.

But I'll walk for a mile tomorrow and, if I remember, climb some
stairs.

Old September 11th 17, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 23:45:54 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

But I'll walk for a mile tomorrow and, if I remember, climb some
stairs.

Climbed both flights, one of them twice. Considered walking home the
long way, but I was hungry, so I turned back at The Hillside
Amphitheatre

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

..
Old September 17th 17, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: No Ridin', no 'Ritin'

Laundry on Monday. I think it was Tuesday I rode to the nearest
grocery store to buy a dozen-and-a-half eggs. Devilled eighteen eggs
yesterday. Should have bought them a few days sooner; they were hard
to peel.

Drove the car to a funeral parlor on Wednesday, walked a mile on
Thursday, and added a contretemps to my sewing log on Friday.

Four hours as a passenger in the car today. I don't get that sore on
the bicycle. (Don't eat that much steak and birthday cake, either.)

There's a discussion of bike safety on alt.usage.english, under "Dutch
Reach"

Glimpsed two sections of the Nickel-Plate Rail Trail, one on each
Saturday; didn't see any sign of people using either section.
Thirty-eight miles would be a bit of an achievement on a BSO.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii