A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Legal/Mathematical problem



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 8th 18, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,739
Default Legal/Mathematical problem


If a 'law abiding' motorist accelerates from rest to a 'perfectly safe' speed of 35mph in a 30mph limit and continues at a 'perfectly safe' speed of 35mph for 1 mile then decelerates to rest.
How many laws did the 'law abiding' motorist break?

Ads
  #2  
Old June 9th 18, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 321
Default Legal/Mathematical problem

On Friday, 8 June 2018 23:14:08 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
If a 'law abiding' motorist accelerates from rest to a 'perfectly safe' speed of 35mph in a 30mph limit and continues at a 'perfectly safe' speed of 35mph for 1 mile then decelerates to rest.
How many laws did the 'law abiding' motorist break?


At least one.
Possibly more, for example--

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space
  #3  
Old June 9th 18, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,739
Default Legal/Mathematical problem

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 1:28:50 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 8 June 2018 23:14:08 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
If a 'law abiding' motorist accelerates from rest to a 'perfectly safe' speed of 35mph in a 30mph limit and continues at a 'perfectly safe' speed of 35mph for 1 mile then decelerates to rest.
How many laws did the 'law abiding' motorist break?


At least one.
Possibly more, for example--

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space


You miss the point.
If a motorist accelerates from rest to 90mph and continues at 90mph on a 70mph dual carriageway for 50 miles then decelerates to rest, how many speeding offences did the motorist commit?
Lets say she was caught by 3 speed cameras along the route.
Did she commit 3 offences or only one, the one where she went from below to above the speed limit?

  #4  
Old June 9th 18, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 321
Default Legal/Mathematical problem

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 13:57:16 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

If a motorist accelerates from rest to 90mph and continues at 90mph on a 70mph dual carriageway for 50 miles then decelerates to rest, how many speeding offences did the motorist commit?
Lets say she was caught by 3 speed cameras along the route.
Did she commit 3 offences or only one, the one where she went from below to above the speed limit?


She committed an infinite number of speeding offences?
  #5  
Old June 9th 18, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,739
Default Legal/Mathematical problem

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 2:04:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 June 2018 13:57:16 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

If a motorist accelerates from rest to 90mph and continues at 90mph on a 70mph dual carriageway for 50 miles then decelerates to rest, how many speeding offences did the motorist commit?
Lets say she was caught by 3 speed cameras along the route.
Did she commit 3 offences or only one, the one where she went from below to above the speed limit?


She committed an infinite number of speeding offences?


Black body radiation, planck's constant, quantum mechanics. The offending vehicle occupied a finite number of distinct energy states.
  #6  
Old June 9th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,739
Default Legal/Mathematical problem

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 2:04:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 June 2018 13:57:16 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

If a motorist accelerates from rest to 90mph and continues at 90mph on a 70mph dual carriageway for 50 miles then decelerates to rest, how many speeding offences did the motorist commit?
Lets say she was caught by 3 speed cameras along the route.
Did she commit 3 offences or only one, the one where she went from below to above the speed limit?


She committed an infinite number of speeding offences?


According to Heisenberg and Schrodinger a motorist is both speeding and not speeding. Only when a motorist passes a speed camera can it be forced into one of the states. Therefore every time a motorist trips a speed camera counts as a separate offence.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legal Intentionz Corvus Corvax Mountain Biking 12 December 5th 07 10:31 PM
street legal? Crescentius Vespasianus Techniques 0 August 10th 07 10:45 PM
The mathematical way to ride a bike Thomas Hood Techniques 6 July 22nd 07 08:07 PM
Is this legal Matt[_2_] UK 35 June 25th 07 11:59 AM
Is It Legal? Howard Kveck Racing 23 March 13th 07 08:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.