SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 11th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-10 14:29, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Apparently, we were visible enough. Our bikes both had dynamo powered
lights, but neither of us had them on.

Some people are not so lucky in the lane.

How do you explain to someone that just because they engaged in
dangerous behavior and got lucky that it does not prove that what they
did was intelligent or logical?

In their minds, the fact that they were lucky is absolute proof that
what they did was a good idea.

My father smoked two packs a day for about 40 years and did not get lung
cancer so that must prove that smoking was not a problem despite all the
evidence to the contrary.

Yep. Like those people in the 60's and 70's who militated against having
to wear a seat belt. I dunnit without for decades an nuthin' happened! I
am strong and can brace myself against the dashboard!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 11th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights
throughout the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

Speaking of visible enough: My wife and I just returned from a
little ride. We rode out to the suburban branch of our credit
union to cash a check, then a bit beyond it into sort of
semi-rural roads. We returned by different roads. We were on some
quiet residential streets, some former farm roads that are now
short cuts to housing developments, a bit on an arterial road or
two with 50 mph traffic, etc. Quite a few miles were on lanes
that were obviously too narrow to share (like 9 feet wide) so we
rode at lane center.

As usual, we had no problems with any drivers. (Well, except a
couple who were clogging things up while they seemed to be
looking for entrances to some obscure businesses). And there was
absolutely no indication that anyone had any trouble seeing us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD5P_LHEHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqysSwOcIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbiRxoWR4

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

So you manages to find ONE incident each in Britain, Australia and
Tennessee U.S.A. Oh the GREAT DANGER!

Geeze Joerg, if bicycling is so darn dangerous why do you do it? Or
is that why you consume so much beer = to get courage enough to ride
those deadly roads and trails?

Two mates got rear-ended in similar fashion. They just happened not to
have rear-facing helmet cams.

That's the reality.

Old October 11th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

You can find videos of almost anything on the web.

It's called facts. Two university mates of mine were rear-ended in the
lane. One lost a kidney, the other had a ruptured spleen. At least in
one case the driver stuck around, something that doesn't appear popular
anymore these days.

It's called anecdotes. You searched a world-wide source and found three examples, each on a separate continent. You tell us about two friends, but I file that in the same drawer as mountain lion attacks, chain repair using rocks and found nails, and your many miraculous escapes by your other super-wise equipment choices.

You offer commercial advertisements as evidence that daytime lights are absolutely necessary, and you offer anecdotes as evidence that leaving the gutter is dangerous. Why not look at cycling education documents like _Street Smarts_ or _Cyclecraft_? Why not look at educational programs like "Cycling Savvy" or "Smart Cycling" or "CAN Bike" or similar programs in other countries?
https://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

Permission to stick head back into sand granted.

Annual U.S. deaths: Motorists, over 40,000. Pedestrians, over 4500. Bicyclists, only 800 in a bad year. Pedestrians are three times as bad as bicyclists per mile traveled.

What lights do you carry when walking in daylight? Or are you sticking your head in the sand?

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 11th 18, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/11/2018 10:55 AM, Joerg wrote:

I have panniers mounted permanently and they have a cross-canvas that
catches mud on the road bike. On the MTB there are several panels plus a
Some day I might make a custom guard for that. The stuff you can buy for
MTB is too floppy.

I've had full fenders on my mountain bikes since, oh, 1985 or so.

But I can understand why they wouldn't work for you, Joerg! ;-)

Hail is a real pain though. Every time I got into that I had forgotten a
plastic bag to strap over the helmet.

Shower caps are good for that. Either pick one up from Walmart or similar
or the free ones from motel/hotel. Just pack it in a side pocket on the
handlbar bag or pocket in a pannier. Or place inside the loo roll, which
is in a plastic bag anyway.

I'd sweat profusely plus plastic gives me skin rashes.

Yep. That wouldn't work for you!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 11th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Following up on my own post: I just returned from Village Hall where I
had a chat with the nice secretary who works there.

She said she recently walked from Village Hall to and from a nearby
bank, which is a daily part of her job, when she tripped over a slight
imperfection in the sidewalk. She landed flat on her face, which was
severely banged up. Since the village doesn't pay her much and their
insurance coverage is not great, the E.R. trip was expensive for her.

That walking stuff really can be hazardous!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 11th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/9/2018 7:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 10:05:16 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 10/8/2018 4:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip
Do you have a side light? I'd worry about that. Pull though an intersection and "whack." Where was your side light! You really should have a bright side light.

A lot of front and rear lights do have side lights but they're not very
bright.

What many cyclists are using are these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANW2YB2 but they are sold out in most places.

We're saved! I'm going to have to get a few -- and a new outlet strip for all my chargers. I've got the Garmin smart rear light with radar and camera, two front lights, side lights, front camera, MP3 player with speakers and for hot days, a fan.

Good news, you can order the side lights direct. See
https://brightside.bike/product/brightside-bike-light-sale/. Maybe do
a group-buy for your cycle club.

But there are also plenty of wheel lights available.
Old October 12th 18, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:55:14 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I have panniers mounted permanently and they have a cross-canvas that
catches mud on the road bike.

My custom front paniers are like that.

Shower caps are good for that. Either pick one up from Walmart or
similar or the free ones from motel/hotel. Just pack it in a side
pocket on the handlbar bag or pocket in a pannier. Or place inside the
loo roll, which is in a plastic bag anyway.

I'd sweat profusely plus plastic gives me skin rashes.

Err, the shower cap goes over the helmet. it really just blocks up the
holes, so there is no real skin contact

I usually carry a
plastic bag and a rubber band. But you know how it is, looking into the
sky, nah, nothing's gonna happen today. And then it does.

That is why you want something that just sits out of the way all the time.

I use a standard Bell cycling helmet.

Buy a shower cap that fits it and give your head a new "skin". choose the
right one and give everyone else a mental lift in the foul weather. I
know from experience that "flowers' work well.

Old October 12th 18, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:55:14 -0700, Joerg wrote:

On the MTB there are several panels plus a loading platform, so no
splatters either. The problem is the front tire.
Some day I might make a custom guard for that. The stuff you can buy for
MTB is too floppy.

Perspex. Years ago someone gave me some off cuts for the purpose there
of. both the shop plastic and metal were too thin and not wide enough,
but ther perspex was cut to width needed.

Also had the other advantage that it was a flat surface and you could
carve out any mud that built up under the fenders. One tour we did had
all the fenders taken off as the alternative was walk 100', carve out
mud, then repeat.

Old October 12th 18, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Gee, one of my classmates died of pneumonia. Does that mean I am in
danger of pneumonia? Another dies of appendicitis, should I have my
appendix out?

I could go on, but I'm sure that you get the idea.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 12th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I lose respect for people who call me or others liars without any proof.
Therefore, EOD.

[...]