Who makes a strong seat post?

Old July 1st 03, 03:09 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default Who makes a strong seat post?

Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1, that came fitted with a
Titec x-wing seatpost. The past models all had a pathetically
underdesigned clamp that broke. Often.

Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the
need to have a 5mm allen key AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust
the stupid thing.

My X-Wing was okay - I replaced the clamp with the new one and it works
fine. What do you need an open wrench for???

The new clamp design is really for people who couldn't notice that the round
washer wasn't actually round. Not paying attention, kinda brain-dead, etc.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 1st 03, 10:47 AM
CandT

Not sure if you can get them in the US easily, but in the UK - I got mine from
Wiggle, but I've got a Roox S4.2. It really is a lovely thing too.

http://www.roox.at/COMPONENTS/Roox_C..._Startpage.htm

you can see from the pic that the post has a hole drilled through that actual
tube, which a beefy metal rod passes through - then the twin bolts go through
that to the clamping part at the top. You may think that a hole drilled through
the post might weaken it - but internally the tube is thinner at the bottom but
thickens considerably toward the top.

Other nice feature are a practically scratchproof anodization which stops it
from getting marked one removal/insertion. But even better are the 1cm markings
along the length of the tube so you can see how far it is in the seat tube.
Useful if you usually have 2 'settings' - one for the uphill grinds, the other
for the downhill fun.

All in all a great seatpost, and with plenty of choice of diameters...

CandT
Old July 1st 03, 03:12 PM
KLydesdale

"Anthony Sloan" wrote in message

Chris Phillipo wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi All,

While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding

in
neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very

inelegant
and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5 to

10
degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening

in
the field (have no offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so

I'm
looking for a new one.

My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind

the
weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5

kgs
of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a
CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... .

My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but

are
larger diameter posts more sturdy?

Thanks in advance?

Bo

PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt.

On
the way home from the store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to

the
trails.

If you get a Titec knock rated seatpost at least they will replace it
for you if you do that again.

But then you face this issue: Titec, manufactor of other quite nice MTB
bits, is ever stymied by the elusive seatpost. They just cannot get it
right.
Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1, that came fitted with a
Titec x-wing seatpost. The past models all had a pathetically
underdesigned clamp that broke. Often.

Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the
need to have a 5mm allen key AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust
the stupid thing.

Get a Thomson.

Some of the previous models of Titec posts have had cheesy clamp mechanisms
but their current line doesn't seem too bad. Their XC posts now use a
single bolt clamp while the heavier duty ones employ a pretty beefy two-bolt
one. I used a Titec Knock seatpost when I was building up a frame for a
friend and it's dual-bolt clamp mechanism is very secure and easy to adjust.
My friend is fairly heavy (24 lbs) and has bent other seatposts quickly but
this one seems to be holding up well.

Old July 1st 03, 03:26 PM
Chris Snell

"Bo Lind" wrote in
message ...
Hi All,

While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls

(succeeding in
neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very

inelegant
and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5

to 10
degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want

happening in
the field (have no offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...),

so I'm
looking for a new one.

My question is this; what seat posts are strong?

Bo

Old Syncros seatposts are quite good, if you can find one on ebay. New
Syncros (after their sale to GT, and subsequent resales. Hopefully Tom
Ritchey resurrects the old quality with the name) seatposts evidently
suffered from quality issues. Old Syncros posts can be recognized by
the lettering, where the letters are upright when the post is
vertical, as opposed to the new ones, where the letters are upright
when the post is horizontal.
ie
|S|
|Y|
|N|
|C|
|R|
|O|
|S| is old.

Syncros mind you is strong and light, I'm afraid I can't help you with
your strong and heavy search.

Old July 1st 03, 03:58 PM
Anthony Sloan

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1, that came fitted with a
Titec x-wing seatpost. The past models all had a pathetically
underdesigned clamp that broke. Often.

Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the
need to have a 5mm allen key AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust
the stupid thing.

My X-Wing was okay - I replaced the clamp with the new one and it works
fine. What do you need an open wrench for???

The new clamp design is really for people who couldn't notice that the round
washer wasn't actually round. Not paying attention, kinda brain-dead, etc.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

This clamp has a bolt that goes through a small wedge and then into the
two hlves of the rail clamp. The wedge is free to turn, and does so if
you try to turn the bolt to adjust the seat angle/setback. As it is
wedge shaped, when it turns, it takes up the slack of the bolt backing
out, so you need a wrench or a pair of pliers to hold it in place.

I notice that Titec has removed this design from their current line up....

Old July 1st 03, 05:45 PM
Mark Hickey

Bo Lind wrote:

While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding in
neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very inelegant
and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5 to 10
degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

That post is NOT reideable. If it's been bent enough to be obvious,
it's in serious danger of a total failure - and that is something you
do NOT want to happen. Do yourself a big favor and replace it before
you ride again - even an "easy ride".

My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the
weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5 kgs
of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a
CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... .

The Thomson is indeed got a good record for reliability, though I
suspect much of that is because it's a no-offset post (reducing the
stress significantly). The American Classic posts also have a good
rap for being cheap and reliable and even pretty light.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 1st 03, 07:40 PM
Chris

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Chris" wrote in message

rthlink.net...
"Bo Lind" wrote in message

My question is this; what seat posts are strong?

Bo

Everyone is way off; Thomson sucks ass.

How uninformed of you.

That crankarm pic of yours was the first ever failure of a RF product I have
seen or heard about, and I like their saddle clamp better than Thomson.

snip mailorder commercial

I only linked to mailorders because you can't link directly to products on
RF's site.

Thomsons work well for me.

JD worshipper of quality parts

Chris
worshipper of no parts

Old July 1st 03, 08:40 PM
Rich

SNIP
That crankarm pic of yours was the first ever failure of a RF product I have
seen or heard about, and I like their saddle clamp better than Thomson.

Get out much? I've seen their BB's wear out quickly, one other broken
crank, and rings explode. If you and your riding buddies ride often
enough you'll learn that no brand is impervious to failure. That said,
I love my RF parts and would not hesitate to buy any of their products
(except maybe their isis bb).

Old July 2nd 03, 02:34 AM
Chris

"KLydesdale" wrote in message

My friend is fairly heavy (24 lbs) and has bent other seatposts quickly

but
this one seems to be holding up well.

Damn, I knew some XC guys took it prety serious, but that dude is a
lightweight Freak!

Chris
(obviously assumes you meant 240)