Panniers for school books?

Old March 17th 05, 03:57 AM
maxo

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:34:58 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
maxo writes:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:58:17 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

If beer cans were available in milk crate height

Ohhh, such sweet fantasy!

I don't have any beer cans available, but 2 stacked
similarly-sized Coke cans aren't high enough. Neither
are WaggleDance, Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale, or
Old Peculier bottles. A Guzano Rojo mezcal bottle
might be.

cheers,
Tom

I vote for a small pride of 750ml Corsendonk bottles.

Old March 17th 05, 05:40 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

I vote for a small pride of 750ml Corsendonk bottles.

Those big Ranier Ale ("The Green Death") bottles might
work, too. But then I'd have to go Stateside for a
medium-sized pizza, and it'll get cold by the time I'd
get it home. Riding to the Peace Arch border crossing
from Vancouver is a circuitous PITA, unless one wants
to spend busfare (the buses have bike racks) just to go
through a stupid tunnel where cycling is prohibited.
After all that, one might as well get a large pizza
anyway.

So Corsendonk it is. Or those big plastic bottles of
(ugh) Watney's.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 17th 05, 05:49 AM
mark

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

I reckon I left myself wide open for that one.

Sorry, I really couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, I've been commuting with a Critical Mass bag from
Patagonia for almost a year now, and a Canadian made messenger bag for a
couple years before that.

I have a Canadian bag coming that appears to be nicely made. Thanks for
the pointer to the Patagonia bag. A rhetorical question: who the heck
thinks up names like "critical mass" for things like messenger bags?
Friggin word salad: throw a bunch of words in a bowl and pull out two.

Inspired by Critical Mass bicycle rides, in which crowds of cyclists take to
the streets to either disrupt rush hour traffic or demonstrate the
superiority of bicycle commuting, depending on who you ask. At least I hope
it has nothing to do with self sustaining nuclear fission.
--
mark

Old March 17th 05, 03:46 PM

On 3/16/2005 8:49 PM mark wrote:

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

I reckon I left myself wide open for that one.

Sorry, I really couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, I've been commuting with a Critical Mass bag from
Patagonia for almost a year now, and a Canadian made messenger bag for a
couple years before that.

I have a Canadian bag coming that appears to be nicely made. Thanks for
the pointer to the Patagonia bag. A rhetorical question: who the heck
thinks up names like "critical mass" for things like messenger bags?
Friggin word salad: throw a bunch of words in a bowl and pull out two.

Inspired by Critical Mass bicycle rides, in which crowds of cyclists take to
the streets to either disrupt rush hour traffic or demonstrate the
superiority of bicycle commuting, depending on who you ask.

grins sheepishly I shoulda known that.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old March 18th 05, 03:53 AM
Mike Kruger

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
m wrote in

It seems the only place that I can find REAL milk-crates --

the truly
sturdy heavy-duty kinda waxy plastic ones that humans can't

break -- are
in stacks behind food stores and are stamped "PROPERTY OF

SAFEWAY
STORES. THE GUY WHO OWNS THIS BIKE STOLE IT."

The ones available for sale, in places like Target, are made

of the same
stuff that Revelle models are made of and will shatter if

you give them
a sharp look.

For the most part, that's right. I did get a number of them a
few ago that were just as strong as "real" milk crates.
Unfortunately, I got them at Woolworth's, which is no longer
an option.

Rummage sales are a good place to find this sort of thing.
Just buy one from a defunct dairy, so it would no longer
matter if it was originally stolen.

Old March 18th 05, 05:15 AM
Mike Kruger

Peter Cole wrote:

To answer my own question: http://tinyurl.com/4anrr

Nope -- those are cheap-o brittle plastic kind that break

if you even

make fun of them.

From the description:

"There's nothing like the real thing. These are the same

strong crates
sold to milk producers. They're tough enough to stand on..."

I've bought a few things at the Container Store. All have
either broken ($88 kitchen trash can my wife wanted, shoe rack
for hall) or are nonfunctional (what good is a "designer"
bathroom plunger that looks really cool but doesn't actually
clear clogs?). Perhaps it's just bad luck on my part, but I
wouldn't trust their catalog description. In fairness, I'm
not at all familiar with these crates -- if you are, I defer
to your opinion.

Brompton - Panniers Richard Bates UK 20 February 3rd 05 03:42 PM
Karrimor EH20 Waterproof Panniers - Global Sarennah UK 3 January 15th 04 05:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Anyone still use their 70's BikeWare panniers? I do! Jeff Potter Techniques 4 July 12th 03 02:58 AM